There is a great fellowship opportunity available to sophomores and juniors, offered by Be Original (an organization that promotes authentic, as opposed to “knock-off” furniture and lighting design). From the website:
“Be Original Americas’ 7-week Summer Design Fellowship program will introduce two college students to all facets of creating innovative, high-quality products, from research, design, and manufacturing to marketing and distribution through hands-on, in-the-field learning.”
The deadline is March 12, but all you need to apply is:
- Resume or CV that emphasizes relevant experience and achievements
- Letter of Recommendation from a college professor
- Short Essay (500-700 words). Please answer all of the below questions in one MLA-formatted document
- What does original design mean to you?
- What is your favorite design and why?
- What do you see as the future of original design?
To be eligible you must meet the following requirements:
- enrolled as an undergraduate student, in 2nd or 3rd year of study at an accredited college or university in the United States
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- United States citizenship or legal resident alien status who reside in the United States
- 18 years of age or older
Be Original Americas will provide travel and lodging accommodations as this program will require travel to New York City and member company sites throughout the United States. Participants can expect to incur some costs for food and incidentals. A $3,500 grant will be awarded to each student at the successful conclusion of the program.
I’m happy to offer any help or advice to anyone wishing to apply.